A little bit about me: my name is Simon and I’m a user experience designer at Deloitte Digital. I design mobile and native application experiences for all kinds of companies and I am lucky to be part of an awesome team. You can find me on Twitter at @si_keatley and LinkedIn.
Senior User Experience Designer at Deloitte Digital
Janurary 2011 – Present
Some of the things I do at Deloitte Digital while working with amazing clients: sketching, wireframing, user research (personas, contextual inquiry), content audits, competitive analyses, heuristic evaluations, presenting ideas (many, many times) to clients and peers, and dodging lots of nerf projectiles.
- Created and managed stencils in OmniGraffle for iOS / Android / Web to reduce rework when wireframing.
- Created style guide to document wireframing style, deck / presentation style, and writing style to help maintain consistent deliverables from the team.
- Initiated weekly sketching meetings with UX team to help provide practice and support for learning and improving sketching abilities.
- Built custom sketchpads from scratch for my sketching initiative.
- Onboarded new hires, running them through our bootcamp (project work) and training (software, wireframing, and deck creation).
- Presented an information architecture workshop on competitive analysis.
- Presented a brown bag on OmniGraffle features and advanced topics.
- Created a document that walks clients through the reason for wireframes, some helpful questions to ask, and how feedback can be guided to be most helpful for UX to take action on.
Usability application developer at Microsoft
April 2011 – November 2011
- Assist User Research Engineers with usability tasks – analysis of usability videos and conducting focus groups.
- Streamlined participant check-in process through hook integration (C#) with survey software.
- Created an app (VB.Net / Telerik) that provides the ability to monitor participant data in real-time, which provides User Research Engineers with additional flexibility and helps catch any exceptions in participant playtest experience.
Gametest technical moderator at Microsoft
April 2011 – November 2011
- Facilitate game testing in playtest labs; interact with participants to ensure valid data is collected and study procedures are followed.
- Re-designing internal SQL DB that Games User Research uses to drastically cut the time required to analyze data and generate reports that will impact game development.
Systems Engineer at Iowa State University
August 2007 – August 2010
- Created an application with Access 2007 / SQL 2008 to keep track of university-wide student and faculty training.
- Built a program that manages data & reporting for all university research proposals (1000+ annually) that: dynamically generates reminder letters & emails from custom HTML templates and generates monthly & yearly statistics in Excel that allow forecasting of workloads.
- Interviewed users and conducted mini-scale usability tests to improve the applications.
- iOS – iPhone ★★★★★
- iOS – iPad ★★★★☆
- Android ★★☆☆☆
- Mobile optimized web ★★★☆☆
- Responsive web design ★★★☆☆
- Wireframing ★★★★★
- Sketching ★★★☆☆
- Prototyping with HTML5/CSS ★★★☆☆
- Prototyping with Adobe Edge Animate ★★★★☆
- User flow diagrams ★★★★★
- Creating personas ★★★★☆
- Conducting user research ★★★★☆
- Competitive analysis ★★★★☆
- Heuristic evaluation★★★★☆
- OmniGraffle ★★★★★
- HTML5/CSS ★★★☆☆
- InDesign ★★★★★
- Edge Animate ★★★★☆
- Fireworks ★★★★☆
- Proto.io ★★★★☆
- Axure ★★☆☆☆